Mary Anne Bowie, FAICP Executive Director, The Jericho Project
- Inducted as a Fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners (FAICP) 2006-present
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Member #4953 1985-present
Senior Urban Planner, Sustainability Expert and Business Management Consultant
Sole Proprietor - Sarasota, FL - Previous and June 2015 to Present
• Planning Consultant/Expert Witness: Sustainability, long range and current planning, complete streets, vision planning, government management, eminent domain.
• Business Management Consultant. Program management, grant preparation, marketing, organizational, and financial services for non- profit organizations and small businesses.
• Volunteer Community Service. Governing Board Member, US Green Building Council, Myakka River Branch; President, Arlington Park Neighborhood Association, Inc.; Coalition of City Neighborhoods (CCNA) Executive Board.
• Notable Accomplishments. Program Manager, Green Movies That Matter for USGBC Myakka River Branch and Program Manager for Gulf Coast Oyster Recycling and Renewal (GCORR) for Solutions to Avoid Red Tide (START).
Air Force Reserve Base Community Planner
Jacobs Engineering Group - Homestead Air Reserve Base, FL - October 2014 to July 2015
• Reporting directly to Base Civil Engineer, duties included managing the installation comprehensive planning process, providing military construction (MILCON) programming support, managing airfield waiver program, leading real property acquisition process and supporting real property officer.
• Notable Accomplishments. Reduced permanent airfield waivers from 21 to 14, developed original airfield waiver on-base administrative approach and provided airfield waiver training to installation engineers. Prepared complete real estate transaction packages for real property acquisition, coordinating closely with Miami-Dade County. Researched and developed MILCON form DD1391 for heavy aircraft fuel hydrant delivery system. Updated facility management guide.
Air Force Encroachment Management and Senior Regional Planner
Air Force Civil Engineer Center (AFCEC) Smith Associates - San Antonio, TX - July 2014 to October 2014
• Senior Regional Planner. Served as a member of Air Force Encroachment Management (AFEM) team as the point of contact for AFEM training courses and overall curriculum. Particular emphasis placed on integrating web-based materials and clarifying the eighteen AFEM foundational programs.
• Notable Accomplishments. Drafted AFCEC Encroachment Management charter. Wrote bullet background papers on Air Force organizational roles, foundational programs, and enterprise-wide issues.
Michael Baker, Jr. Inc. --Alexandria VA (teleworker from Sarasota, FL) 11/2012 to 5/2013
- Co-authored U.S. Navy Redevelopment Plan for Naval Station Rota, Spain. Designed conceptual Complete Street and shared path bicycle/pedestrian system for the installation. Addressed land use, transportation, and sustainability factors within this programming roadmap for base future development.
- Notable Accomplishments. National speaker at American Planning Association conference: "Resiliency, Beyond Sustainability."
Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc., Associate Shreveport, LA and San Antonio, TX 7/2010 – 9/2012
- Established (stood up) new Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC) community planning function, guiding comprehensive planning, airfield waiver and encroachment efforts on five air force bases.
- Served on two AF Major Command (MAJCOM) Air Traffic System Evaluation Program (ATSEP) teams to evaluate and improve airfield conditions at Barksdale AFB and Whiteman AFB.
- Served on nationwide team to rewrite AF Instruction (AFI) 32-7062 for Air Force Comprehensive Planning.
- Wrote review draft AFGSC instruction for airfield waivers.
- Provided support to Air Force Real Property Agency (AFRPA) in Strategic Planning, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Reconciliation, Enhanced Use Leases (EUL) and Readiness & Environmental Protection Initiative (REPI).
- Developed and taught Real Estate basic training curriculum to Booz Allen Hamilton personnel engaged in supporting AFRPA.
- Served as one of primary authors of Air National Guard (ANG) Public/Public- Public/Private (P4) Toolbox.
- Reimagine Infrastructure Mega-community three city simulation: led Florida stakeholder outreach participation and facilitated two-day simulation team.
Cruise Car/ Eco Trans Alliance, Sustainability Leader Sarasota, FL 7/2009 – 7/2010
- As policy planner, developed recommended transportation policy and provided testimony to create awareness of electric and solar-electric sustainable transportation solutions for communities.
- Design and content development of Eco Trans Alliance website.
- For New College of Florida, as program manager, provided transportation carbon footprint analysis and managed GPS fleet analysis, ridership surveys and final recommendations for transportation alternatives.
Mary Anne G Bowie Associates, Inc., aka Bowie Urban Planners, CEO, President
Sarasota, FL 10/1988- 6/2009
- Transportation Right of Way Planner/Expert Witness. Developed site-specific analysis and technical reports for over 1000 business occupied properties in 65 cities and counties describing new highway impacts on privately owned properties. Responsibilities include: complex data gathering and analysis, generating recommendations, communicating results, implementation and follow up. Conducted original research based upon interviews, field surveys and historical records; analyzed property surveys, appraisals, highway engineering documents, regulations and real estate market conditions; provided highway and land use right-of-way analysis. This work resulted in reporting recommendations and expert witness testimony for land owners, attorneys and government agencies. Pre-acquisition, developed alternative highway right of way cost estimates in Broward, Manatee, Sarasota and Okeechobee counties. Analyzed impacts of ten utility high-power transmission corridors and analyzed regulatory permissible use for multiple environmentally sensitive lands for the Nature Conservancy.
- Community Planner for Department of Defense installations. Prepared portions of comprehensive plans, general plans, area development plans (ADP) and Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) plans for military installations (Westover, Stewart, Laughlin, Hill, Little Rock, Eglin) requiring on-site visits, development of site plans, traffic circulation plans, and real property research for airfield expansion, community centers, dormitory complexes, regional medical center and local government reuse. At Westover, developed unique sustainability approach for base’s comprehensive plan utilizing ISO 14001 in land use plan. Prepared airfield waivers; Navy and Marine Corps project required detailed airfield waiver packages to be fully compliant with Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) and Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) guidance.
- Facility Management / Asset Management Analyst. Analyzed facility data and real property information to develop asset management plans for HQ Pacific AF (PACAF) installations (Kunsan AFB, Osan AFB ROK, and Kadena AB Japan) that required compliance with appropriate AF guidance. Identified installation capacity constraints and recommended facility reuse.
- Economic Development Planner. As project principle and project manager, provided sustainable redevelopment and area development plans for US 17 Charlotte County, Business US 41 in City of Venice, and North Business 41 in Lee County, Florida. Served on team for Redevelopment Plan for Old Mandeville, Louisiana, that resulted in positive economic redevelopment and residential rebuilding in accordance with flood plain regulations and new eco-tourism goals.
- Educator. Consultant to St. Petersburg College to create curriculum for brand new Sustainability Management Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree. Taught AIA and AICP continuing education courses on Low Impact Development and Economic Development. Beginning in 1994, taught principles of sustainability and green business economy to thousands of people through courses, presentations, eco-forums, radio and TV broadcasts. Served as Planning Accreditation Board (PAB) site visitor assigned to planning programs at Ohio State University, Eastern Washington University, Ball State University, Pratt Institute, and Cal Poly Pomona.
- Environmental Impact Planner. Researched and analyzed regulatory, environmental, traffic circulation, market and other land use issues to assess the environmental impact of proposed transportation corridor plans. Served as the environmental and planning expert witness for an interstate highway project on multi-disciplinary team established for acquisition of approximately 1,100 real estate parcels along Interstate I-75 corridor across the Everglades in Collier County, Florida over a five-year period.
Sarasota Green Connection (SGC), Founder, Sustainability Leader 2/2002 – 5/2011
- Bowie Urban Planning sponsored the SGC seven-year pro-bono effort which ultimately led in 2009 to formation of Green Connection US (GCUS), a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization committed to bringing green expertise to communities nationwide. For GCUS, Bowie served as Founding Board Member and Chairman of Board of Directors.
- Created Saturday morning green market events, facilitated unique educational monthly eco-forums (2002 to 2009), published Sarasota Green Pages (2005), and established a network of 4,000 people and over 200 Sarasota Green Connection approved green businesses.
- With Green Connection US, established local television show and served as community spokesperson on sustainable planning, green businesses and green products.
Sarasota Green Marketplace, Inc., Founder and President 1/2004 – 6/2009
- (Part time) Entrepreneur, Founder, CEO, CFO and Marketing Manager for Sarasota Green Marketplace, an all green building products and supplies retail store.
- Store operated in near downtown storefront with three full-time employees. Sarasota Green Marketplace established 180 vendor relationships. Complete commercial catalog developed; complex web presence and excellent community reputation established.
Adley Associates, Inc., Planner and Economist Sarasota, FL 1983 – 1988
- Authored several Charlotte County Regional Impact Area Development Plans; established energy conservation requirements.
- Analyzed Florida Department of Transportation required land acquisition projects, including I-595 in Broward and Alligator Alley (I-75) in Collier Counties; recommendations made for cost efficient highway design solutions that minimized engineering costs and impact to privately owned property.
Charlotte County-Punta Gorda FL Planning Council, Senior Planner 1980 – 1982
- Authored comprehensive plan elements for the City of Punta Gorda and Charlotte County.
- As project manager for highway bridge conversion to recreational facility, wrote statement of work, directed selection processes and supervised project engineering.
Metropolitan Atlanta GA Rapid Transit Authority, Transit Planner 1971 – 1976
- Prepared Environmental Impact Statements in accordance with the Council on Environmental Quality NEPA requirements.
- Established first architectural historian and archaeologist contracts to fulfill NEPA requirements.
- Conducted large and small public meetings; facilitated stakeholder sessions; created transit station area development plans.
- Master of City Planning (environmental planning specialization) Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, December 1973
- Bachelor of Arts, English (education certification courses complete; humanities minor) Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, March 1970